One of my favorite parts about new Taylor albums (besides the whole thing of course) is buying an actual hard copy – lyric booklet and all – and reading through all the lyrics as I listen to the album all the way through.
Who even does that anymore?! Me.
Taylor, being the wonderful person she is, makes it even more special by leaving hidden messages within the song lyrics by capitalizing random letters. These letters spell out clues to who the songs are about.
We will look at her Speak Now album as an example:
- Mine (TOBY)
- Sparks Fly (PORTLAND OREGON)
- Back to December (TAY)
- Speak Now (YOU ALWAYS REGRET WHAT YOU DON’T SAY)
- Dear John (LOVED YOU FROM THE VERY FIRST DAY)
- Mean (I THOUGHT YOU GOT ME)
- The Story Of Us (CMT AWARDS)
- Never Grow Up (MOVED OUT IN JULY)
- Enchanted (ADAM)
- Better Than Revenge (YOU THOUGHT I WOULD FORGET)
- Innocent (LIFE IS FULL OF LITTLE INTURRUPTIONS)
- Haunted (STILL TO THIS DAY)
- Last Kiss (FOREVER AND ALWAYS)
- Long Live (FOR YOU)
Now, I won’t go into all the meanings and theories about what, or who, these songs are believed to be about, but I think we owe Taylor a big “thank you” for letting us in and helping us curious fans (Just me? Awkward…) understand more about the subject matter of her songs.
Here’s a website with a few theories to get you started on your own guesses.